We are currently open for submissions for our upcoming Journeys issue.
What We Publish
We're looking for works of literature, illustration, music, and other art that either/or...
- are about maps and the paradoxes they engender.
- are maps of some territory.
- respond to an existing map in some way (i.e. ekphrasis). We find it helpful to think of the relationship between map and map-response in terms of prepositions. For example, you might...
- construct a narrative that takes place within the map.
- translate the map from its current medium to another.
- map the territories outside the map.
- write about a specific map, which is to say, explore the circumstances, history, and meaning of this particular object.
We want you to expand our sense of what a map can be.
For resources, see the Database and Feeds section of our Other Territories page.
We don't accept previously published or exhibited work. We are open to simultaneous submissions, but you may only submit one manuscript per year. To plan around future issue themes, see the preview pages linked from our atlas.
We'd like to see work of no more than 7,500 words. For poetry and other shorter forms, please send a portfolio of 4-6 pieces, no more than 1000 words each, preferably work from the same project, or linked in some other way.
If your work responds to a map that isn't found on one of our preview pages, your submission should be accompanied by a hi-res version of the map or a link to the same, alongside rights and citation information for any images used.
How to Submit
We are currently accepting all submissions through Submittable.
In addition to a manuscript, we ask that you provide:
- A generic bio and/or a link to your website and its list of publications, projects, exhibits, etc.
- How you know about Territory and how you see your work fitting into what we're doing.
- Any design stipulations / ideas you might have if we were to publish this piece.
- Citation and rights information for all found texts.
Format your manuscript + attachments to follow these guidelines (assuming your artistic intent doesn't preclude doing so):
|Medium||Type / Encoding||Resolution||Formatting|
|Text||.pdf, .docx, .doc||Times New Roman
|Image||.jpg, .png, .tiff||>1600x1200
|Audio||.m4a, .mp3||~320 kbps
|Video||.mp4, .m4v, .mov,
2 audio channels
|use any aspect ratio
use any color profile
Try to bundle your attachments together when and how it makes sense: multiple poems in the same document, larger image sets bundled in zip files, etc.
We're accepting submissions for our Journeys issue until July 1, 2018. We aim to get back to you with a decision within 2-3 months.
We acquire First North American Serial Rights.
If you have any questions about our submission guidelines or about a specific theme, please send us an email.